My Probable Peregrination
In my last post, which you can see here (but isn’t a necessary precursor to this post, but DOES provide some background), I mentioned my “Probable Peregrination”. THIS post fleshes it out!
It is likely that, beginning mid to late April 2013, I will be taking a sabbatical in the form of (what I term) a Peregrination. It won’t be a TRUE Peregrination, as that connotes wandering widely ON FOOT.
What do I mean by this? I plan to travel across the US fairly slowly and (hopefully) without any time pressures. It will most likely begin in late April, 2013, a few days after I get back from visiting my Sister, Brother in Law and Niece in Sweden.
While I’m not certain yet, I’ll probably travel in my 1996 Subaru Impreza Outback. Solo. Many nights will hopefully be in the homes of old Twitter friends, most of whom I’ll be meeting for the first time (as well as some old family friends) who open their house to me. Some nights will be camping. And where I can’t mooch off a friend and I’m sick of camping, I’ll treat myself to a 2-3 star (out of 5) accommodation.
<Note inserted 21 October 2012>As the map fleshes out for my Peregrination, I’ve decided that I will leave my car in DC area while I visit the NE Corridor, all the way to Dover, NH. In addition, if Amtrak has space on the Auto Train on short notice, I’ll take it from Sanford, FL to Lorton, VA – and pick up NC Tweeps by train from DC! </Note>
I’ve already started “gathering” people – and the places they live – to map out the probable route. And I’ve “pinned” the places only (no names) on a custom Google Map which you can (and should!) – see Here. Please take a look at it! If I’ve already contacted you for your city, or if you think I already knew it from prior communications, check your city! I’ve tried to contact all tweeps I’m truly interested in meeting, but it’s been a tough few weeks, and I’m sure I’ve overlooked one or two!
Beyond that, take a look at the approximate route. Is there someplace you have always wanted to visit, but haven’t? Let me know about it – and why! – as a comment. I’ve already added Marfa, TX when my cousin suggested it in a phone call, and it was his suggestion that now causes me to offer to “be your proxy” and visit places it would otherwise never occur to me to be interested in!
Why am I (most likely) doing this? The short answer is that it is time for me to change my life. (for details, see my prior post, linked at the top of this post). The longer answers are:
- I need time – lots of time – to ponder what I want to accomplish in my life, which is likely already 1/2 to 3/4 over.
- I really want to Meet My Tweeps!
- The pondering of what I’m going to do with the rest of my life also brings up the question of WHERE? And a Peregrination such as this will expose me to much of the country, with a variety of urban, suburban and rural settings. I tend to think that I’d like it to be someplace where it is relatively easy to live car free, but who knows? I hear there is a secular, kibbutz like farming community near Cody, WY where I can imagine I might fit in!
- Since I was a child, I’ve wanted to overnight in all 50 states. To date, I’ve done that in 47. This trip will cross the last 3 off the list. I have a Tweep in Arkansas. I’d like to see Mount Rushmore and other places of note in South Dakota. There I’m likely to camp – unless I discover a previously unknown SD Tweep! And then there is Oklahoma. Frankly, NOTHING I’ve seen about Oklahoma attracts me there other than my childhood vow to visit all the states. So, unless an OK based Tweep appears, or someone else makes a REALLY good OK suggestion, I’m likely to simply plan on stopping overnight enroute from Dallas to the Branson area.
- Also, since I was a child, I wanted to pass through (and in this case thankfully NOT to overnight in) every California county. And I only have one left on the list: Imperial. Which I’ll travel through after my night camping at Anzo Borrego State Park.
- I also like to ride the train. And I want to ride the only high(er) speed rail that currently exists in the US. Rather than travel the Charlotte, NC to Dover, NH corridor by car, I’m hoping to leave the car somewhere in the DC area and see my Tweeps in this corridor using mostly train and transit. If Amtrak can’t accommodate me on their Auto Train (Sanford, FL near Orlando to Lorton, VA near DC), then I’ll drive from FL to DC, ticking off Charlotte and Cary, NC and (probably) Williamsburg, VA on the way instead of as short(er) trips by train from DC.
Well, I could go on and on with more and more details. But this is long enough for now.
But there are a couple more things I’d like from YOU!
- If you think you should be “on the map” but are either unsure if a particular place represents you or are sure you are NOT (yet) on the map, CONTACT ME! Either here in comments, privately via Twitter DM (if I follow you) or email (if you have mine) or – worst case – by public Tweet asking me to follow you on Twitter so you can DM me!
- As I mentioned earlier, if there is someplace you think I should miss, tell me about it in comments – and why!
I’m eagerly awaiting your comments – or other form of contact!