Please help me and/or the climate.
In a nutshell, the subject says it all: Please help me and/or the climate.
Why? Well, that’s a slightly more complex question, and it relates to my use of “and/or” in the subject!
I expect that most of you reading this post are with me in my belief that stopping – or dare we dream: REVERSING – climate change is the biggest challenge faced by us as a species. For you, the “and” applies. But for a few of you who aren’t convinced: Surprise! I’m not going to try to convince you here! But it won’t hurt to take a look at my Fundraising Page where I detail the more personal reasons I’m riding.
Instead, I ask you to contribute to support me in my effort to get myself into shape. Here’s what I’ve done so far:
- About 8 years ago, I weighed in at 260 lbs. From then until the beginning of October, 2013, I dropped to 232 lbs solely by adopting one simple eating rule: Don’t stuff myself!
- However, I remained a slothful couch potato. Eating less does nothing (OK, very little) towards decreasing the risks associated with my lifestyle over the last 30 years. So in late September, I finally followed through on my intention (stated early in 2013 – before my Peregrination) to get myself in shape. How? I started riding my bicycle! Regularly. Almost Daily.
- Since then, I’d got my weight down to 227 lbs by the end of January, when I realized that the first long term goal I’d set for myself (riding to/from the Eat Real Fest) this coming September was something which I was already capable of doing. Easily. And I needed a new, more ambitious goal. And by happy coincidence, within 24 hours of realizing this, I found that my favorite 501(C)3 activism group, Transform California, was fielding a team for the California Climate Ride 2014 – 4 days of cycling from San Francisco to San Francisco through the heart of the wine country totalling roughly 250 miles. At this point training began in earnest.
- With the advent of the rains, in the first week of February, I joined a gym – and I’ve gone a minimum of 3 times/week since, more often 4 or 5 times/week – in addition to my riding activity.
- As of this morning, I weighed in at just UNDER 215 lbs! And I’m no longer short of breath!
- Since September, I’ve ridden 1,485 miles. And I think that’s farther than I’ve driven in the same time!
- Since I adopted a fitness tracking app on December 21, I’ve “burned” 56,837 calories.
Your contribution will encourage me to keep going!
Finally, if all you want to do is wish be “Happy Birthday” (less than two weeks away), then the best wish I have is for you to support me.
Thanks in advance!