How to follow the design process of my Tiny Home
I’ve already done a fair amount of work and I want to share it! Why am I sharing it and how can you see it — and participate? Well, you’ll just have to read on …
I’m fighting my personal TMI tendency. I have, for all of my life that I recall, consistently been one of those people who give Too Much Information. So to fight it here, here’s the most important point:
Check out the new static page on my blog: My Tiny Home
Phew <wipes forehead>, now, at least, my usual rambling style won’t (knock on wood) keep people from seeing the essential point.
So to answer the questions in the teaser paragraph:
“How?” is already answered! Click the link above titled “My Tiny Home” and explore!
And the “Why?” is fairly straightforward. It comes down to two things:
- I like to share my ideas with others
- The Tiny Home community has established an ethic of openness. You can find LOTS of people blogging about their plans, details of their builds AS they build, reflections on lessons learned, and interesting things going forward. It’s a community I’m proud to be a part of.
I feel compelled to let you know that what you’ll find behind the link represents a small fraction of the working, networking. and thinking I’ve done up until now. My mind is working so fast that, if I paused to share even 10% of what’s happening, the time it would take up to put things in words for sharing would eat up all my waking time!
I do want to emphasize one thing on the content you’ll find on the new page:
The Design Diary. The Design Diary is the heart of my design process. In it, I’ve started to record for myself every idea I have, every design action I take, every purchase I make (and yes, I HAVE started gathering materials! So far, I have a kitchen sink and the finish flooring for the main floor — the loft will be different). I’ve put it all into one YUGE (to quote
Donald Trump Bernie Sanders) Google Doc, which allows me to search it quickly, view it in outline view, and, most importantly, lets YOU look at it and comment/suggest/criticize!
You’ll find the Design Diary on the “Stuff on Google” sub page of the “My Tiny Home” page. But you’ll see it’s not even there because the link goes to a Google FOLDER that I’ve shared – the Design Diary is in the folder. I did this so that I wouldn’t have to worry about changing anything on the “My Tiny Home” page if something significant changes within the stuff I’ve shared on Google. And I’m NOT giving you the link here so that, should you need it, you can learn how to find it yourself. It’s fairly simply done (at least on a full fledged browser – I don’t test on small screens like phones because I tend to post far too much information to be easy to read and understand on a phone screen.):
- Hover your pointer over the “My Tiny Home” words in the top navigation bar on the page you’re looking at right now (or indeed, ANY page on this blog)
- Sub-pages will appear, choose “Stuff on Google”
- Click the link in the first sentence – and in the second paragraph (they’re the same) – This will bring up the Google Folder in a new tab or window (depending on your browser settings)
- At this point, if you aren’t logged in to a Google account, you might see placeholders instead of document previews. It doesn’t matter (yet).
- Click on “Design Diary” Google will show your a PREVIEW of it. At this point, you can look through the entire document, but you can’t comment, nor can you see the comments of others. To do that, you have to “pop out” into the full Google Docs editor. Here’s how:
- Take a look at the upper/right corner of your preview tab/window. If your cursor is NOT over the preview, here’s what you’ll see:
OK, you won’t see the red arrow. I put it there to point to what you need to click on the actually get into the Diary!
- You should now be in “suggesting” mode in a Google Doc editor in a standard browser. If you’re reading this on your phone or tablet, I hope you know enough to get to this point, there’s just WAY too many variations for me to even try to talk you through it!
- Still not there? Put a DETAILED comment on this blog entry. Please include platform (Desktop, Laptop, Tablet or Phone), Operating System (Windows, iOs, Android, Linux) and I’ll do what I can. If I can come close to duplicating your circumstances, I’ll let you know how to get to the diary. If it takes me too long, I’ll break down and send you a link by email (you have to give an email to comment on this blog, so I’ll have it!).
OK. I’m MOSDEF into TMI territory, so I’ll stop now!